How to Write Respectfully Outside Your Experience
Learn how to build characters with diverse backgrounds while avoiding potentially offensive stereotypes and imagery.
In the new publishing environment, how confident are you about including characters of different races, gender orientations, ethnicities and religions?
Let's face it -- not every character you create will be just like you. To make your stories interesting and appealing, you need to include characters with varied backgrounds.
But, especially now, that's not as easy as it sounds. As awareness grows about cultural stereotyping and insensitive portrayals, many writers find themselves paralyzed by doubt when it comes to the subject.
In this superb session, award-winning author and writing educator Teresa Funke will help you navigate the new landscape. In one info-packed session, you'll learn:
- When and how to include diverse characters.
- How to research the era, events, or cultures you want to portray.
- How to notice and process the differences between you and those with differing backgrounds.
- How to ask for and get direct feedback from members of a group you are portraying.
- How to respectfully create characters of a different race, culture, religion or sexual orientation.
- How to write characters with disabilities or other challenges, characters from nontraditional or adoptive families, and those from privileged or disadvantaged backgrounds.
- How to avoid stereotypical characters or storylines.
Award-winning author and in-demand writer's coach. Teresa is the author of numerous books for young readers, including self-published hits Dancing In Combat Books, V for Victory and Wave Me Goodbye.