The Transformative Power of Outlining
On the Journey to a Great Book, You Need a Map
"This was great! I can definitely see how I could use several of these outlining techniques for my WIP as well as several I have planned. Will be going back to the replay to gather more details. Thank you - you're right, I can and will outline and I won't even hate it. LOL"
- Jane C.
Learning the Art of Outlinling Will Dramatically Change Your Writing Career.
The power of outlining helped YA superstar Leigh Bardugo go from scraping by on odd jobs to a legendary career.
She puts it succinctly: “I didn’t know yet that I was an outliner, and how badly I needed structure in order to work”
It's a realization too many authors never make:
To fulfill the journey of writing a memorable book, you need a map.
Knowing how to outline before writing:
- Helps organize your ideas for maximum impact
- Provides critical direction for drafting your story
- Allows you to test multiple versions of a story
- Helps you incorporate important story elements
This is vital and massively important stuff.
So why don't more writers use outlines?
BECAUSE OUTLINING SUCKS.
It's boring. It's hard. It's no fun at all. Well, it used to be those things. But that's about to change for you.
Whether you're a "plotter", "pantser" or somewhere in-between....
n The Transformative Power of Outlining, you will learn exactly what you need to know to start creating outlines that make writing your first draft fun, stress-free and much, much easier.
In this comprehensive class you'll learn:
- Why outlining is so vitally important.
- The key story structures used by authors to break a story into distinct and describable parts, including:
The Hero's Journey
Syd Field's Paradigm
The Circus Tent
Save the Cat
- The common traits across story structures that provide clear frameworks for writers.
- The different types of outlines you can use (it's not one size fits all!)
Scene Deck outline
Subway map outline
- How to choose the right outline style for your story & begin using it right away.
- Which outline structures are best for particular genres and age groups.
In one powerful session, Jes will gently guide you into the world of outlining, and give you a skill that will have a profound impact on your creative process.
You'll also get a detailed, comprehensive PDF handout to accompany the session that you can refer to while on your journey.
"Thank you. This was inspiring, helpful, encouraging, and more!"
- Jessica B.
Jes Trudel an author, editor, and trainer based in Timmins, Ontario. Her credits include BoldFace, TalkSpace and Children's Book Insider.
Her book SPOILER ALERT: Satisfying Story Endings and How to Craft Them is set for publication in 2022.
Jes is the co-founder of WritingCommunity.ca, and hosts annual events including #canlitpit and the Northern Ontario Book Fair.